Author Topic: Can't install my HP Officejet pro 8600 plus  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Elvis

• Service Before Self
Can't install my HP Officejet pro 8600 plus
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:21:28 PM »
HP Officejet pro 8600 plus: I went to the Synaptic Package Manager and installed the hplip package, but when I go to HPLIP Toolbox that it installed and try to install my printer, it can't see my network printer@my ip address, and it seems that they do not have any up to date drivers, just older printers. Maybe I was in to big of a hurry and maybe I should have not installed the hplip? I'm new at all this, maybe I should have asked before I jumped?
Can Someone Please Help me with my printer problem. Thank You.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:32:59 PM by Elvis »

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
Re: Can't install my HP Officejet pro 8600 plus
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:40 PM »
Hi,

Yes the printer hplip drivers in Squeeze are a bit old. I built a newer package a while back and it supports my 8500A, but I don't know if it will support your 8600 plus or not. This package is intended for AV Linux 5.0.3 and you will need to go and use Synaptic to uninstall the older hplip package from the Squeeze repos also make sure you also fully uninstall any other hplip related package which may appear in the auto-removable section of Synaptic. Custom packaging hplip is quite difficult and this package was a one-off to help another user awhile back because the latest drivers from HPLIP at the time were majorly broken for Debian users.

The newer HPLIP package is here: http://bandshed.net/custom/hplip_3.11.10avlinux-1_i386.deb

I will mention to you to clarify that may of the issues that you've had with AV Linux are simply a matter of timing. Linux in general is never a great choice for brand new cutting edge hardware like motherboards and printers. Certainly Ubuntu and some others are a bit better in this regard than AV Linux because we are using a 'Stable' distribution as a reliable proven base and because of that we are valuing stability over the absolute latest hardware support. Since so few hardware manufacturers take Linux seriously there is ALWAYS a lag from when hardware comes out for Windows or Mac because Linux drivers have to be built from scratch, reverse engineered, or adapted from existing Linux drivers and that takes time...

I am confident that if your computer was a year old or more you would not have encountered so many issues getting AV Linux up and running, I'm glad you persevered through what would have made most people give up and certainly you were not wrong to do so, I simply thought I would point out why you ran into some of the the issues you did...

Hopefully this hplip package will do the trick for you, if not let me know and we'll see what else can be done....
AV Linux, Proudly created with Remastersys: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

Offline Elvis

• Service Before Self
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 10:17:48 PM »
I Thank you for your wisdom. And yes your right, I was so Lucky to hook up with people like trulan and soppel.
But things are starting to unfold and things are starting to come together and work, trulan needs more than just a pat on the back.
You know, I have not forgotten about you, you're the one who got the ball rolling, and I thank you for that.
Yes, I will uninstall the old and download your new driver, Thank you.

Offline soppel

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »
The other option is to surf to the HP-webside and look for support and drivers.
You will be linked after a while to the linuxdrivers. There you have the newest. ( 3.12.2 I thought)
They have a automatic installer and a good step by step info.
It worked at the notebook of my girlfriend, but up til now not at my desktop. :(
So... i will try the option from Gmaq also  :)

Offline Elvis

• Service Before Self
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:21 PM »
Thanks, soppel
I'll wait for you to get back to me.

Offline soppel

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »
Sorry, I was very very busy last time.
Yesterday I needed to print. and neither my wifes laptop or my pc would. I took the short way: started up in windows, and put in the driver CD which came with the printer.
did not work :evil:

I start to be stressed, I had to print!
Back to my daily AVlinux, and surfed to: HP.com
Yes!!! there was a new version of HPLIP.
Put it on, and within 20 minutes, I could print on both printers and could scan! That was long ago it goes so simple!
Hopefully your pro 8600 is so good supported now with HPLIP!

Good luck!