Author Topic: AV Linux 6.0 'The Now' is in the Wild!  (Read 49055 times)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
AV Linux 6.0 'The Now' is in the Wild!
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
AV Linux 6.0 'The Now' is finally in the Wild!

After a very turbulent development period AV Linux 6.0 is finally here. This will be the final release of AV Linux for a variety of reasons however don't stop reading at the word 'final', this is a state-of-the-art release that culminates over 5 versions and 5 years of experience and refinement into the best release to date. This release should truly come closest to the 'Install...Create' ideal that AV Linux has strived to provide. This release is provided 'as-is' and will not be updated and maintained with newer packages, however tech support will be provided on the AV Linux forum for 1 year. Obviously this will be a disappointment to some users, however before you walk away I urge you to try the latest ISO and let it prove it's own worth, people who want to install and create multimedia will not be disappointed... people who live for the next software update will be better served by KXStudio or Dream Studio both excellent projects in their own right.

AV Linux 6.0 has benefitted greatly from increased collaboration with outside contributors, this time around I have played the role of project leader and let the true genius of Tony Brijeski and falkTX provide the best new features. Tony has provided numerous hidden system tweaks and cleanups as well as a new Remastersys GUI and Installer, Control Panel, Filefinder Utility and Nautilus scripts. falkTX the talented and generous developer of KXStudio has shared a great 'aloop-daemon' python script for setting up an ALSA Loopback system (which was refined by Tony and Trulan Martin) as well as a standalone binary build of his Carla Plugin host and his great DISTRHO Plugin ports. Ben Loftis from Harrison Mixbus has allowed distribution of Mixbus 2.1 (demo-version) on the LiveISO and Trulan Martin has spun up another rock solid 3.0.36 Kernel patched with EHCI USB-3 support as well as some newer testing -rt Kernels. Thanks also to Ed Diehl for his troubleshooting help with FFADO and ISO testing. Hats off to Allen Tate for providing our torrents and Tom (aka Grooveschmied) for his efforts to translate and promote AV Linux to our German users and formatting and organizing the great Hardware list provided by AV Linux users. And lastly thanks to last-minute ISO testers trulan, doogy_64, davephillips,

It's no secret that the ISO has grown about 500mb in size, despite what people may think if anything there is less 'fat' than ever before. There are added applications some of which are standalone or bundled binaries which take more room. As always AV Linux doesn't just give you the OS itself there is also a complete development environment on the ISO as well.

This release is dedicated to those rare, unique and amazingly generous people who kept AV Linux alive with donations, some of you have even donated more than once and although the ratio of downloaders to donators was unfortunately far from an effective fundraising model that does not in any way diminish my appreciation for the generosity demonstrated by all of you. My humble and sincere thanks...

RELEASE NOTES:

- Right click on the desktop for an Openbox menu to access the Installer, User Manual and System Config stuff
- PLEASE take a minute to read the updated User Manual explaining the new features in 6.0
- On the LiveISO any apps requiring gstreamer or LADSPA plugins will launch Wine which will take several seconds to set up it's config on first run only
- Nautilus starts with a slight delay on first run only
- Kdenlive will directly launch and ask to create a folder in your user's home, do not re-run the setup wizard or it will create incorrect paths to MLT

AV Linux 6.0 Changelog (In no particular order):

- Update to Kernel 3.0.36
- Update to Xorg from Squeeze Backports
- Cleaned up and improved boot with dependency-based booting
- Allow all users access to xserver (hopefully fixed goofy rare permissions issues)
- Rolled QT4 Stack back to clean Squeeze version to solve breakages from QT4 4.8
- New Control Panel
- Move to Nautilus File Manager
- Added New Hydrogen Drumkits
- Added Nitrogen
- Updates to Remastersys GUI/Installer
- Suppress stupid superfluous udev messages during boot
- Removed 'doc' folders from plugin paths to fix LV2 warnings in terminal
- Removed problematic PXU LADSPA Plugins
- Removed discoDSP Discovery demo due to JUCE GUI issues with Ardour
- Updates to latest drobilla LV2 Stack with Custom Packages
- Rebuilt OpenCV Stack with custom packages
- Added Harrison Mixbus (2.1 Demo-Version)
- Update to Deb-Builder
- New Filefinder Utility
- Disabled IPV6 to hopefully fix Browser speed issues
- Updates to Linuxsampler Libs
- Updates to Wine (1.4+rt patch)
- Added updated repo for WXWidgets
- Updates to Audacity (2.0)
- Added Squeeze repos for XFCE 4.8/KDE4 4.6 (disabled by default)
- Added various build dependencies for assorted applications
- Provide Custom VLC Build (just about killed me!)
- Added Carla Binary Build
- Created custom icons and added versions for Wbar
- Updates to Ardour2
- Added Ardour3 b5 SVN Builds
- Provide Custom Kdenlive Build (Don't Ask!!)
- Updates to ALSA (1.0.25)
- Updates to FFADO (2.0.99SVN2189)
- Added K3B
- Updates to LibreOffice (3.5.4)
- Added 'Non-Things'
- Added Synfig Studio
- Removed OOMIDI (Couldn't contact developers after numerous IRC visits)
- Removed All JACK Standalone Plugins)
- Added linuxDSP '500'and 'Black' Series
- Added and tweaked aloop-daemon
- Updates to Rosegarden (12.04)
- Updates to Guitarix (0.24)
- Added Muse2 (2.0.1)
- Updates to MuseScore (1.2)
- Added Darktable
- Added DispCalGUI/Argyll_CMS
- Updated User Manual
- Updates to A2JMIDID (v8)
- Updates to Patchage and support libs (0.5.0)
- Updates to Handbrake (0.9.6)
- Updates to Openshot (1.4.2+BZR)
- Updates to LiVES (1.6.2)
- Updates to SooperLooper (1.6.18)
- Updates to Cinelerra (2.2CV+GIT)
- Updates to WineASIO (0.9.0+GIT)
- Added Petri-Foo
- Added Sonic Visualiser (2.0)
- Added Qmidinet
- Added Vee One LV2 Prototypes
- New Menu Buttons
- New Custom Theme

Release Screencasts

This release is accompanied by 2 Screencasts one is an installation tutorial and the other is a detailed Introduction Screencast. I'll apologize in advance for my voice... between allergy season, late nights and morning-after-a-gig syndrome I'm not exactly what you would call a Golden Voice. The Introduction Screencast is fairly long, hopefully there are some items of interest for most people...if not that's what the scroll bar at the bottom of the video is for...

Introducing AV Linux 6.0 from Glen MacArthur on Vimeo.

Installing AV Linux 6.0 from Glen MacArthur on Vimeo.

Download, Install, Create.....Enjoy!

Torrent: http://www.mymusicexchange.us/torrent/torrents-details.php?id=2

ISO: http://bandshed.net/iso/avlinux6.0-lxde-i386-en.iso
MD5: http://bandshed.net/iso/avlinux6.0-lxde-i386-en.iso.md5

**POST-RELEASE FIXES**

Nobody's perfect and neither is AV Linux, here are a few fixes to minor bugs that have popped up since the release of AV Linux 6.0.

- The Installer in AV Linux 6.0 has a bug with installing GRUB to the root partition which is not a terribly common scenario, most people will install to the MBR which works as expected. If you think you require a non-MBR GRUB install you will need to install this package during a Live Session before running the installer:
http://bandshed.net/avlinux6-debs/remastersys/remastersys_2.0.24avlinux6+grubfix-1_all.deb

- Updated Calf Plugins package to fix some graphical issues with the GUI's (specifically in Ardour)
http://bandshed.net/avlinux6-debs/calf/calf_0.0.19+GIT20120906avlinux6-1_i386.deb

- If you are having problems with linuxsampler and "lscp-client_create: cmd: connect: Connection refused" then you can install this updated SVN linuxsampler stack, To install it download the zip file, extract it and follow the instructions in the README:
http://bandshed.net/avlinux6-debs/linuxsampler-cvs/LINUXSAMPLER-SVN2363.zip

- If you use the Nautilus 'Browse As Root" script and then try to shutdown you may see an 'Authorization Required' message displayed at the bottom of the Logout dialog which will prevent shutting down or rebooting, this is caused by Nautilus not terminating properly when being used with gksu. A fix has not been found yet but in the meantime you can simply force Nautilus to quit by opening a Root Terminal and executing:

Code: [Select]
killall nautilus
Now you should be able to Shutdown/Reboot as normal.

-
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:22:19 PM by GMaq »
AV Linux, Proudly created with Remastersys: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

Offline dsieburgh

Re: AV Linux 6.0 'The Now' is in the Wild!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »
Yay!!!! What a great birthday week!  :yahoo:

First, I get a new guitar (Gibson SG Faded Brown) and now the new release of AV Linux.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Offline RickBrock

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »
WHOOP

thanks Gmaq
Collosians 3:23 - "Whether you eat, drink or whatever you do...(create videos / music)... do it all for the glory of God"

Offline Prof Knaakenbroed

• Prof Knaakenbroed - Music
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
I just knocked-off and THAT made my day ! Glen, you are MANIAC ! :wizard:

I'll do some epic barbecuing on saturday (as always) and the sunday..... will belong to AVL.

Thank you SO MUCH for your enormous effort and all that BIG amount of work you did put into that great distro.

And, as WE ALL should know that thank you words are really not enough to appreciate that hard and high quality work, please accept my PayPal-shaped compliment. Thank you, man ! You are GREAT.

And not to forget to thank the team you managed to assemble around you.  :howdy: Great work, guys ! I'm deeply impressed how much knowledge and skill you delivered. I'm feeling small beside that.

I'm really looking forward to next sunday, counting the minutes until install...

Yours

Prof Knaakenbroed

Offline Rock And Roll Over

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
:howdy: Thank you good sir for your tireless efforts!

Offline edvo

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »
good, good, good  :dance:

Offline canezila

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »
THANKS!!  I hope "final" doesn't mean you are walking away from AV_Linux.  No additional releases for v6 is no problem if someday there is a v7.  If no, then its a sad, sad day.  Some things you have to count on... and this is one of them.  But thanks again for all you have done and those that have helped you. 

Offline magicalex

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 02:25:47 PM »
Great news! Can't wait to try it out.

Offline RickBrock

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
please keep seeding people...... i can only see 2 of us seeding.... if you have it... share it....#
much love
Collosians 3:23 - "Whether you eat, drink or whatever you do...(create videos / music)... do it all for the glory of God"

Offline Zawiedek

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »
I want the tube back !!!  :cry:

Offline Zawiedek

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »
I'm seeding, too! :yahoo:

THANKS!!  I hope "final" doesn't mean you are walking away from AV_Linux.  No additional releases for v6 is no problem if someday there is a v7.  If no, then its a sad, sad day.  Some things you have to count on... and this is one of them.  But thanks again for all you have done and those that have helped you. 

If I understand the announcement correctly, then it means there will be no new AV Linux, again. :no: That would be a sad day, indeed. But that's the way projects eventually go that are maintained by a single person. I can completely understand and appreciate such a decision on a personal level. Although the efforts are completely voluntary pressure to deliver is building up. Finally, the fun part gets lost and you become a slave of your own project.

Offline livetorrents

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:44 PM »
sounds good :)  thx for your incredible work

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 05:31:34 PM »
I'm seeding, too! :yahoo:

THANKS!!  I hope "final" doesn't mean you are walking away from AV_Linux.  No additional releases for v6 is no problem if someday there is a v7.  If no, then its a sad, sad day.  Some things you have to count on... and this is one of them.  But thanks again for all you have done and those that have helped you.  

If I understand the announcement correctly, then it means there will be no new AV Linux, again. :no: That would be a sad day, indeed. But that's the way projects eventually go that are maintained by a single person. I can completely understand and appreciate such a decision on a personal level. Although the efforts are completely voluntary pressure to deliver is building up. Finally, the fun part gets lost and you become a slave of your own project.

Hi,

To read so many positive and concerned comments is so humbling. :howdy:

To clear up any ambiguity yes I have made a VERY difficult decision to stop active development on AV Linux, Zawiedek is a very perceptive person. I can no longer balance the demands of AV Linux with my business/personal/family life because it has become all-consuming which is NOT the fault of anyone at all...just one of those '$h!t happens' kind of things. I will of course try to help folks on the forums to get the best out of it and I certainly will be using it to create 'art' instead of creating software. Linux is wonderful in so many ways but at the development level a lot of the 'freedom' more closely resembles anarchy and the never ending shifting sands of the underlying support libraries and the unbelievable amount of babysitting and building from GIT, SVN etc, required to maintain 50 or so applications is simply not possible for me to continue and lead a balanced life.

AV Linux, Proudly created with Remastersys: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

Offline doogy_64

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »
Hi GMaq

Thanks for your dedication and for AV Linux.  I can certainly understand your reasons.  I particularly appreciate your honesty at this time as it gives people the opportunity to plan ahead.  This is in contrast to the previous linux music distro I used, which just seemed to ....... stop.

Regards

Rich

Offline Grekim

• Acoustic Refuge / Mixer4
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 07:01:33 AM »
Awesome!  Many thanks!

Offline soppel

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »
Just find this new AVlinux, okay I am late....but than the announcement that it will be the last one. :cry:

I start downloading it, will take some days before I have it, but I will try it, see it, feel it, use it.
So I can't say anything about AVL6 now.

But I want to thank Gmaq for his work, and time. I respect your decision.
You did a wonderful job.

And, of course: thanks to the rest of the team!

Offline rayburn

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
Just find this new AVlinux, okay I am late....but than the announcement that it will be the last one. :cry:

I start downloading it, will take some days before I have it, but I will try it, see it, feel it, use it.
So I can't say anything about AVL6 now.

But I want to thank Gmaq for his work, and time. I respect your decision.
You did a wonderful job.

And, of course: thanks to the rest of the team!

You have said exactly what I was going to say! I had never heard of this distro before, and now it is finishing....

Offline soppel

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »
Oh..... than you are a bit different  ;)
I used AVlinux 5.03 for a while already. It is the first distro ( okay...it is not a distro) that make my soundcard working so good. ( it is not 100% but I am far)
I will strongly recommend to start using AVlinux 6! Things can change, maybe there will be a AVL7 who knows.

Just enjoy what you can have now! In fact it is a Debian, so you will learn a lot when you use AVL. ( and have fun in the same time!)

Offline canezila

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:41 PM »
Is there a PAE kernel by any chance?

Offline danboid

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 04:59:42 AM »
I've not tried AVL 6 just yet but reading through the release notes this sounds like the greatest distro yet and GMaq has really gone out with a bang IF this really is to be the last AVL - which would be sad because for many of us on these forums, AVL has 'rivals' but no serious competitor. By creating AVL, GMaq (and Trulan etc) have made a large contribution to free software and especially the advancement of Linux audio and multimedia.

Personally, I think GMaq will become compelled to do a 6.1 before getting his life back. Why? Ardour 3. Ardour is the central app within AVL and GMaq, as we all, has been patiently awaiting 3.0. Paul has always said he didn't want people to include the A3 betas in distros but according to the changelog GMaq has included beta5 svn build of A3 - did Paul make an exception for the last AVL? Also, I'm not calling into question the quality or stability of AVL6 as I've not even tried it yet but now that AVL6 will get widespread testing, more issues will be discovered and there may be some biggies to show up yet.

I was eagerly scanning the list of new apps and was heartbroken to see no mention of samplv1 - is it really not included? Have my constant promo efforts on LA*, the AVL forums and elsewhere selling this as the most important LV2 since drobilla invented the format been in vain?? Its not such a big deal as its easy to compile and all the needed dev tools are included with AVL but it would've ideally been available OOTB for all - even those who don't know what a compiler is.

If we do see a 6.1, apart from a final version of A3 and the samplv1 plugin I would also like to see JAAA and jack-oscrolloscope get included as I have found these indispensable when studying synthesis.

I hope this isn't the final resting place of AVL but either way, my congrats, respect and thanks to GMaq for all his hard work in making Linux accessible to all!

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 06:38:20 AM »
Is there a PAE kernel by any chance?
Indeed, it looks like I forgot to package and upload it.  I'll try to get that up today.

Offline linuxdsp

• linuxdsp.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »
I will strongly recommend to start using AVlinux 6! Things can change, maybe there will be a AVL7 who knows.

How about if everyone who downloads and uses AVL6 donates a dollar to GMaq and then we see if there's an AVL7?  :)
It would be sad if this was the last AVL but I can understand how much work goes into it - and I'm sure that must be a big drain on time / resources for something that's not a main source of income.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »
I've not tried AVL 6 just yet but reading through the release notes this sounds like the greatest distro yet and GMaq has really gone out with a bang IF this really is to be the last AVL - which would be sad because for many of us on these forums, AVL has 'rivals' but no serious competitor. By creating AVL, GMaq (and Trulan etc) have made a large contribution to free software and especially the advancement of Linux audio and multimedia.

Personally, I think GMaq will become compelled to do a 6.1 before getting his life back. Why? Ardour 3. Ardour is the central app within AVL and GMaq, as we all, has been patiently awaiting 3.0. Paul has always said he didn't want people to include the A3 betas in distros but according to the changelog GMaq has included beta5 svn build of A3 - did Paul make an exception for the last AVL? Also, I'm not calling into question the quality or stability of AVL6 as I've not even tried it yet but now that AVL6 will get widespread testing, more issues will be discovered and there may be some biggies to show up yet.

I was eagerly scanning the list of new apps and was heartbroken to see no mention of samplv1 - is it really not included? Have my constant promo efforts on LA*, the AVL forums and elsewhere selling this as the most important LV2 since drobilla invented the format been in vain?? Its not such a big deal as its easy to compile and all the needed dev tools are included with AVL but it would've ideally been available OOTB for all - even those who don't know what a compiler is.

If we do see a 6.1, apart from a final version of A3 and the samplv1 plugin I would also like to see JAAA and jack-oscrolloscope get included as I have found these indispensable when studying synthesis.

I hope this isn't the final resting place of AVL but either way, my congrats, respect and thanks to GMaq for all his hard work in making Linux accessible to all!

Hi and thanks,

If you watched the screencast or read the changelog you would see that the Vee One prototypes are indeed in there... ;) :). As far as Ardour 3.0 I asked Paul nicely (about 100 times) and he gave me the OK for the b5. However Ardour 3.0 will have to be installed by the user from the Ardour 3.0 bundles when it is released because Debian Squeeze cannot meet the glibmm requirements to build from SVN any longer which is beyond my control, the only other option is for users to build the the gtk stack themselves from the build scripts within the Ardour 3.0 SVN source code and then compile it. Let me be clear AV Linux 6.0 should be very able to run Ardour 3.0 and Mixbus bundles from ardour.org for a long time! It is only self compiling SVN that is now more difficult and that only happened a week before AV Linux 6.0 was released.

Offline philgood

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 10:29:14 AM »
Congrats, congrats, and some more congrats. This is looks great!
Although i'm gonna need some help because mixxx 1.11 alpha crashed on me and so i went for the latest beta which i knew it would work cause it did on AVLinux 5.0.3.
But i understand because qt version has changed, it takes some magic to build a package suitable for current AVLinux release. Thus, prebuilted packages of mixxx 1.11 beta from other sources, crash. Ok let's discuss it on the appropriate section from now.
Guys you can press the donate button at any time, just don't put press on this guy, since he already made a tough decision.
And remember to seed also.  :howdy:

Offline canezila

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »
I always get nervous checking the unchecked repo sources.. but I can say that I have now have Mythtv .025v2 and XBMC 11.xx running.  This is a major success.  At least for me.  AV_6 is quite the kickin OS ever!!

Now, I have to figure out what to uncheck in my software sources to bring it back to original...  I know I am walking on egg shells until back to stable!!!  Should have made a screen shot! 

This is the best, stable and complete OS.  THANKS again! 

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 11:08:06 AM »
...and the PAE kernel for AV Linux 6.0 is now up, both in .zip format in the old kernel ftp folder as well as in the kernel repository.  Sorry folks for forgetting to put it up before the release.

Also, kernels sources can be found at http://www.bandshed.net/kernels/source/AVLinux_kernel_sources_3.0-v3.0.36-avl-9.tar.gz
(Not that you should ever need that, but this is after all open source, so there's the source code)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
I always get nervous checking the unchecked repo sources.. but I can say that I have now have Mythtv .025v2 and XBMC 11.xx running.  This is a major success.  At least for me.  AV_6 is quite the kickin OS ever!!

Now, I have to figure out what to uncheck in my software sources to bring it back to original...  I know I am walking on egg shells until back to stable!!!  Should have made a screen shot! 

This is the best, stable and complete OS.  THANKS again! 

Hi,

Sincere thanks for your support and kind comments. As far as the repositories I suggest unchecking 'squeeze-backports' and the Kernel testing repos unless you want to test Kernels. Certainly you don't want anything from Wheezy or Sid enabled and you should safely be able to run with 'deb-multimedia' enabled for Squeeze/Stable only.

Offline danboid

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 05:51:04 AM »
GMaq!

Great to hear the vee1's did make it in - as you can tell I've not watched your screencasts or tried AVL 6 yet but its great to know that I can prob renounce any implied 'pre-criticism' I made :)

Its a bit of a shame that we won't be able to roll our own A3 under AVL any more but not such a major deal thanks to the way Paul packages Ardour now.

AFAIK Dream, Tango and KX are all based upon the inferior, corporate-behest Deb stepchild that is buntu so what will a Deb purist do for a distro in a couple of years when the upgrade itch will strike for many? I wonder what happened to 64 Studio?

Someone will have to try and fill your shoes GMaq and if no-one else does it I will although I won't be able to support it as well as you have AVL as I have too much other stuff I want to do in my life! I'm more than happy to help someone else put together the follow up to AVL as I have already created my own custom Deb distro based on Kanotix using Debian Live.

I plugged AVL6 in the review I did for qtractor on KVR yesterday:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/qtractor-by-rncbc/reviews/3712

Offline davephillips

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »
Its a bit of a shame that we won't be able to roll our own A3 under AVL any more....

Hi Dan,

Why won't you be able to build it ? On 5.0.1 I built and installed the updated glibmm into /opt, set PKG_CONFIG_PATH appropriately, and compiled away. LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs set before running my compiled binary of course, but that's easily handled with a script.

Is none of that process going to work in 6.0 ? Barring some astonishingly horrible technical development it should work as it has been working with 5.0.1.

Best,

dp

Offline danboid

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »
Hi Dave!

GMaq said above:

However Ardour 3.0 will have to be installed by the user from the Ardour 3.0 bundles when it is released because Debian Squeeze cannot meet the glibmm requirements to build from SVN any longer which is beyond my control, the only other option is for users to build the the gtk stack themselves from the build scripts within the Ardour 3.0 SVN source code and then compile it.

So its not impossible, just a fair bit of hassle and more than most would stomach

EDIT

I just re-read what GMaq said he seems to imply A3 includes a script to build a newer GTK so maybe its not as tough as I thought. I had no idea about such a script but even if there is, A3 apparently won't be 'compile and go' as it was for a while. Sob! ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:08:09 AM by danboid »