Author Topic: ALSA driver support for Roland UA-55  (Read 13318 times)

Offline Smeefer

ALSA driver support for Roland UA-55
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:57:55 AM »
I'd love to get the UA-55 working on linux. Right now it is recognized through lsusb, but not by ALSA yet. I'm willing to provide any information that can be obtained by having the card plugged into my computer through USB. If anyone is interested in working on a driver for the Roland UA-55, please let me know. I will help out with enthusiasm.

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
Re: ALSA driver support for Roland UA-55
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
I'm more than happy to help, and if you find a patch to add support for it I can try to add it into the next kernel build.  But for actual development, you'll probably need to head on over to the alsa-devel or alsa-user mailing list:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Mailing-lists

Edit: I see there is a recent post on the list about the Roland UA-55, from an AV Linux user.   ;)   But yeah, that is the correct place to ask, I can add in a patch but actually writing code is something I have never learned to do.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:46:09 PM by trulan »

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:10 AM »
I may be able to get driver code that we can try adding to the next kernel build soon! I will keep you updated.

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
Yay! There is a 3.8rc6 kernel with the patch ready here: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/102869

I'm going to figure out how to add a git repository, then install the kernel, then I will let you all know how it's working.

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »
This is the repository: git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-kprivate.git full-roland-support

Do I do it like this ~$ git clone git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-kprivate.git full-roland-support

I'm trying to figure out how can I install this file or download this. I never use git. I use synaptic or deb files or tarball installations in terminal...

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »
I tried the "git clone" command for this. That's what I found for GIT guides on adding git repositories and installing. I'm completely clueless and at the same time, SO VERY excited to install this kernel with the patch for a roland ua-55 soundcard that I have right here! I'm waiting. Please let me know how to do this git repository. I might need to try ubuntu forums....

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »
Alright! "git clone" worked and I have the folder. I have a kernel, looks like 3.8rc4, with patches for the roland ua-55. I'm reading the README file inside the kernel source folder and it says "make mrproper" will do the installation of this kernel. I'm somewhat nervous about doing this because I've never done it before and I'm not sure what could go wrong if something does go wrong. I'm also not sure about if I need to do anything to prepare for this kernel installation. If anyone has some advice, please let me know soon. I can't wait to test out this roland ua-55!!

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:47:27 AM »
Oh no, nevermind. I just found that I have a whole guide on kernel configuration and installation. Now i know what to do.

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
Glad you are making progress!  I have been very busy this week and have not been able to help like I was intending to.  I'm impressed that you are using git, in the end that will be easier but git has a pretty steep learning curve.  I'll try to stop back in as often as I can, hopefully I'll have more time soon.

When testing kernels, these are the commands I typically use:
make oldconfig
make xconfig
make deb-pkg (this is the actual build)
...and then install the kernel-image .deb file it creates.  How's that for an extremely brief guide?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:09:41 PM by trulan »

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:17:29 PM »
Sounds very do-able. I'm wondering about the old kernel...do I need to uninstall the old kernel in Synaptic at some point or can I install this 3.8rc4 right on top of it, or next to it?

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:04 AM »
Just install the new kernel.  When you reboot, the newest kernel will be at the top of the list in the grub menu, and you can select which kernel you want to boot.  You can have as many kernels installed as you have room on your hard drive, though I try to keep only two or three installed in the interest of keeping things clean.  It's always good to keep a known working kernel installed when you're doing testing so you don't end up with an unbootable or unstable system.  Besides, you can't uninstall the currently running kernel.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:52:33 AM by trulan »

Offline korakios

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »
Sorry to hijack this thread but I feel it's similar request.I have a sampler "Roland SP-606" which is not fully supported.It's also an audio-midi interface but only audio is supported.While trying to make it work on windows 64 (no 64bit support from Roland) ,I noticed that it has a similar chipset to a "Boss gs-10". So I used (and modify) the gs-10 64 bit driver successfully .
 The boss gs-10 has a fully working alsa driver but the problem is ,since I am newbe ,I can't compile! So I need to find someone from alsa project to see if it's possible to use the "boss gs-10" driver for my "Roland SP-606". Should I subscribe to the developers mailing list?Other 'special' forum?Any other suggestion please?
Thanks in advance!

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
You could post on the alsa-user mailing list, also there are some very knowledgeable and helpful folks at LinuxMusicians (subforum for this topic would be Computer Related Hardware):
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=49b9a31d4d2ddf15db3ad4f11f7972ba

If you need specific help for compiling a kernel on AV Linux, feel free to ask here on the AV Linux forums and I will attempt to help as time permits.

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:19:21 AM »
After doing the

make oldconfig

I hit enter many times, then I did

make xconfig

I didn't understand the options in the menu and they looked important, so I closed the menu. Then I did

make deb-pkg

After that, there are 4 deb packages: 1) linux-firmware-image_3.8.0-rc4-avl-9+-1_i386.deb; 2) linux-headers-3.8.0-rc4-avl-9+_3.8.0-rc4-avl-9+-1_i386.deb; 3) linux-image-3.8.0-rc4-avl-9+_3.8.0-rc4-avl-9+-1_i386.deb; 4) linux-libc-dev_3.8.0-rc4-avl-9+-1_i386.deb.

I want to be careful, so i only installed the "image" debs like you said trulan...so i installed #1 and #3.

I rebooted and selected Av Linux 3.8 rc4. It did not boot a GUI. I had a big terminal to work with. So I tried lsusb. Roland device was recognized. Then I tried cat /proc/asound/cards. No Roland device at all. Darn! I was excited.

If I did something wrong, please tell me and I will fix it and try again. Thanks.

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 05:21:16 AM »
What if I install the other two deb files? The headers? Will that cause a problem? Maybe it can help, no?

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 05:45:43 AM »
Installing the headers is fine, you need those if you want to build out-of-tree kernel modules like the NVidia drivers, ATi drives, or VirtualBox module.  Which makes me wonder:  do you by any chance have the NVidia or ATi drivers installed?  If so, X won't start until you install the headers package and rebuild the video driver module (usually by using the Proprietary Driver Maintenance Mode in your boot menu).

I usually do not install 1., linux-firmware-image, as it tends to conflict with the Debian firmware packages already installed.  But if dpgk installed it without complaining, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 07:27:51 PM »
Ok, when I tried this, the "make oldconfig" had nothing to use as the "old config." I need to copy and paste a config file into the source directory where I'm executing these commands. Where can I find a config file for this? I want to make this kernel for the newest version of AV Linux (6.0.1 indeed). And I need to enable the PAE in this kernel so that I can use my entire 16gb of RAM that's attached to my motherboard. This is an exciting project to upgrade my hardware on AV Linux.

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »
Is the config file in "/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.36-avl-9/kernel" directory? I see this Kconfig.hz, .freezer, .locks, .preempt files. Are any of those THE config file?

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 10:10:47 PM »
No, THE config file is in /boot/ , and make oldconfig will use that one.  Make oldconfig will still ask you a ton of questions though because you are jumping all the way from a 3.0 kernel to a 3.8 kernel, and there are a ton of new decisions to be made in configuring your new kernel.

Clemens sent me a patch for enabling these Roland devices, so nothing other than the lack of free time is stopping me from helping you here.  Hopefully I get some time soon...

What about your video drivers? Had you installed the NVidia drivers in the past by any chance, and what kind of video card do you have?  It sounds like you built and installed your kernel correctly but it shouldn't have dumped you to a console like that when you booted your new kernel.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 10:27:55 PM »
@trulan

Can 3.0.55 be patched for this?
AV Linux, Proudly created with Remastersys: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:13 PM »
@trulan - I have an nvidia geforce 9500 GT. On my current running AV Linux 6.0, I installed the driver by selecting "proprietary video card" option in the boot menu. I guess I will try to test this kernel again with the headers installed.

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 04:03:37 AM »
I deleted the old deb files and started over with "make oldconfig". The process went VERY fast this time. I'm going to install them now. The strange thing is that this image is supposed to be 3.8-rc6, but it's not. It's rc4. I don't know why it's not rc6. I'm going to reinstall those and then install the headers too.

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 04:15:58 AM »
Ok i'm done trying for now. I'm not doing something correctly. I still have no x display. cat /proc/asound/cards does not show me a roland device. I don't know what to do.

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 06:35:36 PM »
@trulan

Can 3.0.55 be patched for this?
I'm about to find out.  It's an as-of-yet untested patch apparently, and written for 3.8 so applying it to 3.0 may be difficult.  I finally have some free time this evening so we'll see what happens.

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »
Ok i'm done trying for now. I'm not doing something correctly. I still have no x display. cat /proc/asound/cards does not show me a roland device. I don't know what to do.
Did you re-run the proprietary driver installer on the new kernel?  You need to install the NVidia driver for every kernel you install.

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
Yes I did. I forgot to mention that above. no propriety driver was installed. Instead, it booted the same way that the regular kernel option booted. No x display, no installation, just one big terminal to type commands into.

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »
@Gmaq:  No, the Roland patch does not apply cleanly to a 3.0 kernel, one of the files it wants to patch is not present in 3.0.   I'm compiling a patched 3.8-rc kernel so Smeefer can hopefully test it, and if it works, then I'll dig a little deeper.  For now it's gonna be a lot easier to stick with bleeding edge, since that's what Clemens is developing on.

@Smeefer: I just remembered that there's a file gets missed from the headers package on 32 bit kernels that is needed to build the NVidia drivers, so even if you do try to build the NVidia drivers for your kernel and did everything right, the desktop will still fail to start.  The culprit is arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu (in your linux kernel source directory), and you need to copy it into your headers directory /usr/src/linux-headers-your_kernel_version/arch/x86/.  After that, you can boot into Proprietary Driver Maintenance Mode and it should complete successfully.
Edit:  Yay!  They fixed this in 3.8, how nice!  So that is not your problem.  Not sure what is going wrong for you, but I just finished building a testing kernel.  I will upload it and post a link when the upload is done.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:32:22 PM by trulan »

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 09:04:53 PM »
OK, here's a 3.8-rc7 testing kernel with the Roland patch from Clemens:
http://www.4shared.com/zip/HRJGuFcd/38-rc.html

(I uploaded it to 4shared temporarily - here's the md5sum of the file I uploaded if you want to make sure it's OK:
d87bb311587d9ccc5fe359d18c9d6e8f)

Offline Smeefer

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 03:03:22 AM »
WHOA thanks trulan!

"cat /proc/asound/cards" gave me great results. The quadcapture is recognized by ALSA!

Unfortunately, that is all I can test for now. I have no x display. xhost: unable to load display. :(

The nvidia driver settings work great for the 3.036 kernel....

Is there anyway I can get some display on this kernel? Anything I can do on this end to get a display? If I can get a display, then I can test the soundcard everything. AND my 16gb ram functionality too.

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 05:26:45 AM »
For a quick-and-dirty workaround for your display problems, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (as root).  Find the line that says:
Code: [Select]
Driver "nvidia"and change it to
Driver "nouveau"and reboot.  If that doesn't work, try changing it to
Driver "vesa"and see if that will get you something.  We'll figure out what is ailing those annoying NVidia drivers later.

Note:  This will change things for your 3.0.36 kernel as well.  There is a slim chance that you will end up with no display on any kernel.  If that happens, log in to the console as root and use nano to edit xorg.conf.  This would be the command:
nano /etc/X11/xorg.confChange the "Driver" line back to nvidia and you will be back where you started and reboot.  It may be a good idea to make a backup of your xorg.conf and put it somewhere you can find from the console.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:37:49 AM by trulan »