A unscheduled surprise updated ISO for the AV Linux 6.0 series has been released addressing a few bugs on 6.0.2, some important software updates and moves to a newer updated 3.10.27-PAE lowlatency default kernel provided by Trulan Martin. Please note that an optional full preempt RT kernel with headers is also conveniently placed in the home folder for those who feel they may need it. For people using PCI Audio cards and FireWire devices the default lowlatency kernels provide very good performance since AV Linux provides rtirq out-of-the-box, however as USB-2 Audio devices supported by Linux have grown in popularity some of them seem to respond and perform better with a full preempt RT kernel so that is why this option has been provided, it is important
to mention RT Kernels can also present challenges with proprietary video drivers and further to that please read on below to the present boondoggle that is custom Linux kernels and proprietary video drivers...
Highlights of this release are the newly released Ardour3 3.5.357 with critical bugfixes and fixed detection of linuxVST plugins, the latest new JACK1 0.124.1, demo LV2 version of linuxDSP's AF2-10 EQ, The latest EQ10/CS10/Gate-LV2, fixes to Carla Plugin host binary with SFZ support fixed, Steam has been added however will not be actively maintained and LibreOffice is now at 4.2. For more detailed info please consult the changelog below.
For existing users of either AV Linux 6.0.1b and AV Linux 6.0.2 a hotfixupdatepak with the core improvements contained in 6.0.3 has been prepared. AV Linux 6.0.1b users will need to first install the 6.0.1b-6.0.2 updatepak and then the 6.0.3 updates. The links are at the bottom of this post.
**Important info about AV Linux 6.0.3 Kernels and Proprietary Video Drivers**
* The new default 3.10.27 PAE lowlatency kernel will work with NVidia proprietary drivers, ATi drivers will only work if ATi has fixed their
broken 32bit build of the latest Catalyst version. I have no ATi hardware to test and confirm so any brave ATi users PLEASE comment what the status is with this kernel.
* The optional 3.10.27 PAE RT Kernel has had mixed results with nVidia (Trulan has managed to get nVidia to build and I so far have not). NO testing with ATi has been done. I suggest using the RT Kernel with Xorg Video drivers if possible for sanity's sake
* Please remember 3rd party Proprietary Video drivers are provided the best of intentions with SGFXI for convenience but they are "3rd Party"
and therefore many of the problems they present (ie known broken ATi drivers....c'mon really AMD, that's what you have to offer ?!!) are beyond my control.
Changelog from AV Linux 6.0.2-6.0.3:Bugfixes:
- Set numlock to off by default to avoid keyboard havoc with Netbooks and Small Laptops with combined number/letter keys
- Fixed Ardour3 builds to properly detect linuxVST plugins since XFCE4 launchers do not utilize environment variables (thanks Paul Davis!)
- Fixed Carla Plugin Host to properly load SFZ files (thanks falkTX!)
- Fixed DispcalGUI to launch properly
- Removed Compiz button from Wbar to avoid running unwanted instances
- Added all relevant Broadcom Wireless Firmware, Driver and Source Packages to ease setup as much as possible.Updates:
- Updated 3.10.27avl2-pae default Kernel (optional RT Build available in your home folder) – Thanks Trulan Martin!
- Updated Inkscape to 0.48.4
- Updated liblilv to 0.18.0
- Updated libsuil to 0.8.0
- Updated lv2-dev to 1.8.0
- Updated sratom to 0.4.4
- Updated JALV to 1.4.4+ extUI patch
- Updated fabla-lv2 to 1.3
- Updated Qsampler to 0.2.3
- Updated Qtractor to 0.5.12+SVN with debugging and NSM Session fixes
- Updated Pipelight to 0.2.4.2
- Updated Wine-Compholio to 1.7.11
- Updated Qjackctl to 0.3.11
- Updated Ardour/VST3 to 3.5.357
- Updated JACK and jackutils scripts to 0.124.1
- Updated LMMS to 0.4.15
- Updated Vamp-Plugins-SDK to 2.5 (Required to build Ardour3 Cairo Canvas)
- Updated Qsynth to 0.3.8
- Updated Qmidinet to 0.1.3
- Updated Carla to 1.2.4
- Updated Polyphone to 1.2
- Updated EQ10 LV2 to 2.0beta5.1+GTK UI fix
- Updated MDA LV2's to 1.2.2
- Updated LibreOffice to 4.2
- Updated HPLIP to 3.14.1
- Updated Wine to 1.6.2+rtNew Additions
- Steam *NOTE – not being maintained for AV Linux YMMV!
- Qmidictl 0.1.1
- linuxDSP AF-210 EQ LV2 Demo
- Grub Customizer 4.0.3
- Timemachine 0.3.3
- Gmidimonitor 3.6+GIT
- GTK RecordmyDesktop 0.3.8.1+jackfix
- Alternate Ardour launch scripts for special cases: (Netbook sized screens, Buggy Video Drivers) *Full info in release notesRelease Notes: http://www.bandshed.net/pdf/603-ReleaseNotes.pdfGet 6.0.3 here: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html *torrents are up, Seeders needed! Thanks Allen!HotfixUpdatePak for 6.0.1b - 6.0.2: http://www.bandshed.net/hotfixupdatepak/AVL-602-HotfixUpdatePak-20131227.zipHotfixUpdatePak for 6.0.2 - 6.0.3: http://www.bandshed.net/hotfixupdatepak/AVL-603-HotfixUpdatePak-20140222.zip